From an inspector’s standpoint, safety hazards are a priority for me to point out throughout the home inspection process. I’ve blogged about railings/safety in the past, but just had to post this makeshift light. I found it in the basement of a recent home I inspected. It is a major red flag and definitely landed a prominent spot in my inspection report.
Please Note: the pie plate is not considered an approved electrical fixture! And the fact that the exposed wiring is not properly covered in the junction box is another safety concern.
Do not attempt this nostalgic fixture in your home… no matter how good Grandma’s pie is!
Please don’t hesitate to call me if you have electrical or lighting questions.
Have a great week,